Thursday, May 29, 2014

Review: Shield of Winter


Shield of Winter
Shield of Winter by Nalini Singh

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I am a big fan of Nalini Singh's Phy/Changeling series. However, after finished reading last year's Heart of Obsidian, I am a little bit afraid to get into this book. How can it measures against one of the best book I have ever read.

It cannot but it is still one of the best book I read this year.

After more than 10 books in the series I still feel everything is fresh and exciting. I think about other series with the same number of books and realize that I already give up most of them. But for this series especially with this book I am going in for the ride for a very long time. What make this book special for me is the storyline. After the epic event in Heart of Obsidian, I am one of the people who think that the series could end (of course I support more books in the series). This book continues the unresolved plot and at the same time reignite the interest I have for the series. It is very hard to explain. I love the series but all the time my focus is with a certain character (the hero of Heart of Obsidian) and with his story being told I ask myself what next and cannot think of a thing.

But this book give me the answer and have me waiting impatiently for the next book.

I love how the author resolve the problem (the infection) with logical reason. I love that Ms. Singh does not make Ivy (the heroine) to be the superwoman and wave her magical power to end all trouble. I think the author are one of the best authors today. The way she handles all the mysterious trail left in previous book. Some minor detail that seems so insignificant but become an relevant piece in the plot in the future book. Anyone remember a man who had been left for dead but found by a changeling or curious about the reason why Vasic help Ashaya escape. I am in awe of Ms. Singh's talent.

I also love the relationship between Ivy and Vasic. Does it remind me a little bit of Caressed by Ice? Yes, it is but there are something new and different enough to make both characters unique.

This book takes readers into the hidden world of an E and the Arrow. Although I think it is a little bit cheesy for the Arrow's Declaration at the end of book, it make sense to entwine an E with the Arrow.

This book would not disappoint fans of the series. It is actually a worthy add on to the already excellent series.



View all my reviews

No comments: