Monday, December 15, 2014

Review: Midnight Promises


Midnight Promises
Midnight Promises by Lisa Marie Rice

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



ARC has been graciously provided by the author, which I thank her very much since I am a big fan.

I love the Midnight series. I think Midnight Man (the 1st book in the series) is the reason I totally buy into the ebook crown. I may not be an early ebook adopted if not for the greatness of Midnight Man. That book convinces me that ebook is the same (or much better than) as printed book.

Midnight Promises is the fifth (single title) book in the series. Both Metal and Felicity are the characters in the previous book (Midnight Vengeance) but the readers do not need to read that book except that if your read Midnight Vengeance, you would feel that you HAVE TO read this book.

The theme in this story still is in line with the whole series, the heroine in jeopardy and the hero to the rescue. Felicity Ward is a genius computer nerd who lived alone for all her life. With no relative, and no friend, it is very obvious that she is very lonely. She arrived at Portland Airport with a hope to connect with Lauren, a virtual friend whom she helps to get a new life but never meet before in person. But someone is waiting for her at the airport and try to abduct her. She escape but is hurt in the process. Lauren is the only one she can trust but when Felicity finds Lauren, she also find Metal aka Sean O'Brien and with him she finds her protector.

As mentioned the plot is nothing new but what make me really love this book is the characters especially Felicity. I totally believe in what Ms. Rice describe her to be. An intelligent woman with of-the-chart IQ who may not quite sophisticate about the world. A lot of books fail to convince me to believe the intelligent of a characters but not this one. The trick Felicity used to escape the bad guy at the airport are totally believable and very into her already built-in character that the author described. I may not know much about computer but I think I know enough (to survive) and I believe the story. And I love Felicity as a person. I like the combination of naive and cleverness.

As for the romance, it is Lisa Marie Rice signature. InstantLove. And since I expect it to happen, I am OK with it. Of course I already fall in love with (the character of) Felicity so I do not disappoint that Metal also fall for her. She is the type of person people can feel the love for.

The only "let down" thing I have with this book is the reason why the bad guy hunted Felicity. It may be the fault of the movie "The Peacemaker". I find that portable nuclear is the old concept. It is not exciting at all. And I am kind of think that it is already manufacturing by someone else already. So I do not find that it should be the big secret of the decade.

All in all, I love this story. It has everything I expected in a Lisa Marie Rice's story.



View all my reviews

No comments: