Monday, September 9, 2013

Review: Dead Sexy Dragon


Dead Sexy Dragon
Dead Sexy Dragon by Lolita Lopez

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley. And this is an honest review.

I really love the cover of this book and yes, I am that kind of a person who shallow enough to buy book based on the cover (or in this case request a book because of the cover.).

The story has a standard romantic suspense plot. Cora Cardena ran from the bad guy and goes to her dead brother's best friend, Stig Wyvern to ask for help. Paranormal is thrown into the mix when the hero is also a dragon shifter. And with the erotic twist, the timing she arrives at his doorstep is not so good since Stig are in the "heat", which makes him want woman a lot.

This novella is the first in the series of dragon shifters, which belong to the organization called "the Brotherhood of the Green Hide" that provide protection to their species from the slayers. I find the name is too comical. If the tone of the story intend that way, it would be OK. But this is not a comedy romance. The story is quite serious.

But that is not most objection of this book. The deal-breaker for me is the heroine. Cora ran from the bad guys but I am not sure if she is a good person. Please don't get me wrong, I have an open-minded and can read about flawed characters. But I think Cora is way past flaw. She is someone I don't wish to have a happy ending.

She explains how the trouble begin by putting all the wrong into other people. Her grandmother died and she inherited the bakery. Her brother died and he owned a lot of gambling debt to mafia. When they demanded money, she did not have it. So she allowed them to use her business as a mule to make some deliveries. When asked what type of deliveries, this is her answer.

"Drugs, Money. Guns." Cora shrugged.

I really cannot stand this woman. I cannot sympathize with her situation. She still have her bakery with 9 staffs employed at the time. The mafia do not threaten her or anyone she loves. By her word, "I'd just lost my grandmother and my brother within three weeks. I was so confused and swimming in grief. I was desperate. I just wanted them to leave me alone"

For me, that is not enough reason for her to do what she is doing.

After that scene, everything goes downhill. I think my opinion from that point is too bias to continue writing a review so I am not going to mention it.

If this type of heroine is OK with you or you can accept her decision under those circumstances, I think may give this book a try. The rest of the story is not too bad.

Grade D








View all my reviews

No comments: