Friday, August 30, 2013

Review: Hero of My Heart: A Loveswept Historical Romance


Hero of My Heart: A Loveswept Historical Romance
Hero of My Heart: A Loveswept Historical Romance by Megan Frampton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I got this book though Valentine's campaign via NetGalley.

I request this title immediately after I saw the blurb described the hero as "opium addicted". I love dark and tortured hero. However, writing about addition was not easy to accomplish and this book felled into the between good and really good book.

The opening of the story concerned a little bit. Mary Smith, our heroine was auctioned off in the tavern by her half brother and our hero came to the rescue by buying her. And of course even Alasdair was an opium addicted and saw nothing in his future (actually he prepared to die), he still was a gentleman enough to protect her. What was the better way to protect a damsel in distress than a marriage. So both of them traveled to Scotland to get married, along the way tried to avoid trouble from his and her family.

At first I thought Mary would be the heroine who let the fate took her since she allowed her brother to auction her virginity. Good thing it was not the case but that also leaded me to another question. If Mary was what she was for the rest of the story (strong, capable, and can take care of herself) why she let the situation to that point. She should know better and could avoid the whole thing. But that was the moot point since she needed to be sold in order to bring Alasdair into her life.

Apart from that point, I really like the characters and I like the interaction between the hero and heroine. The journey to and from Scotland created several opportunity for them to be more intimate and those were really nice scenes.

However, I still thought the character of Alasdair was not as dark as I wished him to be. He was an addicted and suffered some past traumatic but the way he was healed seemed too easy. I wished story to be more dark, more angst, more emotion. Some of the conflict in the story was introduced but solved too easy. The issue of his cousin tried to have Alasdair committed had a lot of potential but everything was just gone away with the blink of an eye.

Saying that this is a great debut from the new author. I saw a lot of good point in Ms. Flampton's writing. I like her characters and the love story they represented.



View all my reviews

No comments: