Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Review: Temptation Bay


Temptation Bay
Temptation Bay by Anna Sullivan

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I received this book from GCP via NetGalley.

Anna Sullivan is the debut author and Temptation Bay is the first book in the series.

Before I begin reading, I think small town romance. But the blurb suggests a little bit of suspense involving the disappearance of a child almost a 100 years ago, I think it would be a great combination.

The prologue is not disappointing. It told the story from the age of prohibition when a group of smugglers found a baby girl. That scene makes me want to know more about what happened next. But until the end of the book, those mystery is never solve. I assume we have to wait for the next book to really know what happen. That makes me frustrated because frankly, it is the only portion of this book that I feel interested enough to continue reading.

I do not feel any chemistry between Dex and Maggie, the hero and heroine. From the first meeting when Maggie, the charter pilot picks up Dex, there is no spark. It seems Ms. Sullivan try to make them animosity at first but there is no reason to support the reaction so it make them seem stupid. I cannot even say that I do not like them. I just do not care about them.

The story is focus on the relationship between Dex and Maggie and the community, which is the signature of a small town romance. That Dex is the private investigator assigned to find the truth about the kidnapped baby is never the issue. I do not think he is 100% at working on the case. So I really feel sorry for whoever hire Dex. And it also shows that the hero is not a good PI. He cannot solve the mystery at the end of the story.

Same thing I feel about Maggie. The book mention her issue with high-ranking military father who abuse his power by using government equipment to visit his daughter. What is the point for this. Or every heroine must have a parent issue.

A lot of plot involving the kidnapped baby seems unbelievable. The nanny took a baby to a party because she did not allow to have any leave then left her in the boat by herself. And the baby is not just ordinary baby but she is an heiress for a dynasty fortune. I just cannot believe whatsoever.

However, I still think there is nothing terrible wrong with this book except it is so boring. But that in itself is a crime.



View all my reviews

No comments: